Fertility Clinic: First Visit
During your first visit, a comprehensive assessment of your case will be performed and the foundations of the doctor/patient relationship will be laid.
Your fist fertility appointment entails making an evaluation of the particulars of your case based on medical, gynaecological and andrological histories including, where applicable, an analysis of courses of treatment carried out in other clinics. Should you have had a medical check-up but not have access to your basic fertility analyses, we will do them during this first appointment because, without them, it is impossible for us to provide you with the options for treating your particular needs rather than just standard protocols. The cost of your initial fertility appointment will be subtracted from the total cost of your treatment, should you decide to go ahead.
The first appointment usually involves meeting patients at our facilities. The rooms at Instituto Bernabeu are a suitable place for doctors and patients to have a relaxed conversation. However, if for whatever reason coming to our clinics is complicated, it is possible to arrange an appointment using video conferencefacilities or even over the phone. It will help us to get an idea of your particular case and will save you the trouble of having to travel.
During infertility consultations, patients are seen by a gynaecologist specialising in reproductive medicine. Doctors dealing with international patients do so in the couple's own language. All the gynaecologists at IB dealing with patients who have infertility issues have been awarded either ESHRE (European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology) or EBCOG (European Board and College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology) recognition and have extensive experience.
Furthermore, right from the moment you get in touch with us, you will be assigned a Personal Assistant (PA) to care for you and counsel you in your mother tongue. You will receive a personalised service based on both professional experience and an emotional understanding of reproductive issues.
Our reception staff will be waiting for you at the arranged time. You will be asked to provide data for administration purposes (name and contact details) and will be taken to a private waiting room.
Having met the gynaecologist who will be in charge of your case, the appointment will cover the following:
- Anamnesis. This is the first step in any medical consultation. The gynaecologist will ask you about your family and personal background. It is important that you share each and every aspect of your medical history that may have an impact on the diagnosis and treatment of your infertility issue, as well as the development of your future pregnancy.
- Evaluation of the background to the infertility issue. It will be determined how long the infertility issue has persisted and, should any tests or treatment have been carried out, these will be taken into account and noted down in your medical history along with all corresponding details.
- Prescription of tests for diagnosis. Once all the available data has been evaluated, you will be informed about and given an explanation of the tests that need to be carried out in order to diagnose your issue. These can be carried out on the same day in order to speed things up and avoid unnecessary appointments. The cost of the first appointment includes, where applicable:
- a sophisticated ultrasound scan of morphology and of ovarian function.
- a basic sperm analysis
- An anti-mullerian (AMH) hormone analysis in order to evaluate activity in the ovaries.
- Any necessary additional appointments, telephone or Skype conversations in order to clear up any doubts you may have or in order to obtain additional information related to the appointment will be free of charge.
It is a good idea to bring any documents (analyses, tests, medical reports and so on) that may be of some relevance. You may even send scanned copies of them to us in order to help speed the process up because the gynaecologist will be able to look at them before you arrive.
Should it be difficult to get hold of the documents, do not put the visit off. We are able to make a good evaluation based on the appointment and can determine if those documents are essential or not.
Related topics on the IB ForumSee more
- Endometriosis and Fertility
- Fertility Treatment Medication
- How to deal with the diagnosis of sterility due to unknown causes
RESULT STATISTICSSee more
Our pregnancy results are accredited by external certifiers.
96% OF OUR PATIENTS RECOMMEND US