What should I keep in mind when choosing a fertility clinic?
Just like with any specialist area of medicine, when we need to turn to a reproductive medicine clinic, we have a number of concerns and we need to have a clear understanding of what our needs are and what we expect from an assisted reproduction clinic. It is very important to choose carefully because they are not all the same and there are many different siren songs that can end up causing confusion. Below you will find some of the basic things you should keep in mind when choosing and trusting the people who are best suited to deal with your needs.
- Choose a trustworthy clinic that has a reputation for scientific and medical rigour where personalisation of your treatment is guaranteed. If a clinic is also actively involved in research, this is a guarantee of its interest in patient welfare and progress in the field of science. If the clinic has quality assurance certifications, this is yet another reason to place your trust in it.
- Fixed prices. The cost of treatment is a worry and it’s important to compare and contrast. You need to stay alert because there’s a lot of small print behind many advertising slogans. Over the last few years, a number of clinics that turn reproductive medicine into a trivial issue and use misleading claims have popped up. Place your trust in the people who give you clear and fixed prices so that you don’t end up with any nasty surprises.
- Gynaecologists. It might sound incredible but not all reproductive medicine clinics are run by gynaecologists and experts in fertility. Place your trust in a clinic that works with experts in the field who have demonstrable experience and who do ongoing training courses.
- Specialist units. These units are a guarantee that the clinic is motivated by research and progress in the field of science. Reproductive medicine has been continually changing over the last four decades and the infertility issues we face today are far more complex and need to be handled individually. Units can include poor ovarian reserve, recurrent pregnancy loss and implantation failure, endometriosis, immunology and genetic guidance specialisms, amongst others, in order to deal with complex cases.
- Laboratories and avant-garde technology. In-house operating theatres and laboratories are a guarantee of perfect processes. Patients can have as many tests for diagnosis as they need. High quality assisted reproduction treatment must be based on the very latest technology and the very best resources for diagnosis, ranging from 3D and 4D ultrasound scanning machines to incubators, microscopes and flow hoods.
- Interdisciplinary team. Existing complex issues need to be dealt with by clinics that have experience and an interdisciplinary team so that the infertility issues affecting couples can be addressed as comprehensively as possible. Gynaecologists, molecular biologists, embryologists, geneticists, endocrinologists, urologists, pharmacists, psychologists and so on have a role to play in achieving an in-depth analysis of infertility issues.
Instituto Bernabeu has over three decades of experience working for and with patients and it has always adhered to firm ethical guidelines. It is a clinic that guarantees that the processes it performs are done so with absolute attention to detail by experts in their field who also have a wonderful human touch. The birth of over 20,000 children and healthcare provided to patients from over 137 countries is a guarantee that the clinic meets all the most demanding requirements for providing the very best medical healthcare to address infertility in an interdisciplinary manner.