Recommendations for British patients following Brexit

To visit Europe after Brexit there are things you need to do before you travel.

You should check if you need to: 

  • Renew your Passport. Your Passport should have a minimum validity of six months. 
  • Buy travel insurance with healthcare cover (speak to your doctor and insurance provider before you travel if you have a pre-existing health condition). 
  • Organise driving documents (If you want to drive). 
  • Organise pet travel – you need to contact your vet at least 4 months before you go. 
  • Mobile data roaming: Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get once Brexit in finalized. 

If you require more detailed information, use the following British Government link: https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-brexit

Your Instituto Bernabeu clinical history

Whether there is a Brexit deal or not, all of your rights and obligations remain the same. Your medical data will remain at your entire disposal. You can request access to or a copy of your medical history, cancellation, refusal, limitation or portability at any time that you need to, showing the unequivocal identification of the personal requesting it (National ID or passport).

Buying from Europe after Brexit. Consumer rights 

There may be changes to things like your consumer rights and how much tax you need to pay when you buy products or services from the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland if there is a ‘no-deal Brexit’. 

Check the terms and conditions before you buy. Contact the UK European Consumer Centre for help with problems buying from an EU country. 

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you may have to deal with the court system in the country you bought from to get compensation.

Making payments

If there’s no deal, you may be charged more for using credit or debit cards to pay in euros when you buy from companies in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.

Package holidays bought from EU companies

When you buy package holidays from EU businesses you’ll be covered if the company goes bust, as long as the business operates in or actively sells to people in the UK. If they’re not established in the UK or do not obviously direct their business at UK customers, check the terms and conditions to make sure you know what will happen if the company goes bust. Check with the company if you’re not sure where they’re based.

Healthcare in Spain for British citizen tourists (non-resident)

If there is a deal

Your situation will not change in any way. You will be able to receive healthcare during periods abroad using your European Health Insurance Card since European Community Regulations will still apply.

If there is no deal

The contingency measures taken by the Government of Spain guarantee healthcare during temporary stays, as long as the corresponding British authorities provide similar courses of treatment for Spanish citizens. 

On presentation of a document accrediting British healthcare system (NHS) cover, you will be treated at Spanish National Health System health centres.

Let's talk

We can help you with a no-obligation