31TH OF MARCH
Given the foreseeable evolution of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic and putting the health of our patients, their embryos, collaborators and all the Instituto Bernabeu group’s team, we will keep the group’s clinics closed with the exception of certain days of the week that our clinics of Alicante, Palma de Mallorca and Cartagena will be opened in order to attend gynecologist, fertility or pregnancy follow-up consultations as well as the necessary laboratory services to provide a correct diagnosis.
This does not mean a stop in our activity; we have taken a series of measures to maintain contact with our patients, from giving appointments for first visits via Skype if coming in person is not possible, answering doubts and doing the follow up of the pregnancies in progress, all this via telematic, in order to avoid any delay, nor damages as soon as the assistance tasks are recovered.
If you need to come to our clinic, we will be opened from 8.30am to 2pm on certain days of the week. You can contact to our Individualised Guidance Unit to request an appointment, or directly with your Patien Care Assistant.
- 1 WE ARE ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU
- 2 STEPS TAKEN FOR THE CURRENT SITUATION
- 3 ACTIONS TAKEN TO AVOID CONTAGION
- 4 IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN OUR TREATMENTS PATIENT OR YOU ARE PATIENT
- 5 IF YOU ARE A PATIENT OF THE PREGNANCY GUARANTEE PROGRAM
- 6 IF YOU HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH AN INFECTED PERSON WITH COVID-19
- 7 IF YOU ARE PREGNANT AND HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED CORONAVIRUS COVID-19
- 8 IB PUBLICATIONS ABOUT CORONAVIRUS THAT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST
WE ARE ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU
If you need to contact the medical team or your personal assistant, to get information you can us or send an email:
- You can call to the reception desk at the clinic Monday until Friday from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- You can call to the guidance department from 8:00 a.m. to 7 p.m. monday until Friday (+34 – 965.504 .000 / 918.333.888) with bilingual attention and email@example.com
- Monday until Friday from 19:00 to 22 hours, and on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays from 10:00h to 22:00h, our emergency numbers are available in different languages:
- Medical emergencies in Spanish: 919.914.441
- Medical emergency in English and German +34 – 919.914.470
- Medical emergency in Italian and French +34 – 919.914.468
STEPS TAKEN FOR THE CURRENT SITUATION
We would like to inform you that we are following the evolution of Coronavirus COVID-19 carefully and we have applied to date the protocols established by the Spanish Ministry of Health and the recommendations of the main scientific societies. It is important to take into consideration that at this time we are still learning about this virus and we still don´t know exactly its impact on reproduction and pregnancy.
The most recent scientific publications, based on the first experiences of Chinese doctors, details that there is no transmission from mother to fetus during pregnancy, and that the virus affects more to elderly and / or people with previous pathologies (cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, chronic respiratory diseases, hypertension and cancer). No deaths have been recorded in children and scarcely in young and healthy people. 80% of patients have only mild symptoms similar to a common cold.
The order of the Ministry of Health of March 14, has forced us to provide to the health authorities with a list of all the medical surgical material, having proceed to give in on several occasions from our different branches since Monday the 16th March. That´s why we have been forced to cancel any non-urgent medical surgical treatment in order to use this medical material for the urgent cure of patients affected with coronavirus.
In the past days we have received communications from the main scientific societies (ESHRE -European Fertility Society-, SEF -Spanish Fertility Society, ASRM -American Society for Reproductive Medicine, ASEBIR -Spanish Association of Biology for Reproduction-, BFS -British Fertility Society-, among others) which advise against continuing current assisted reproduction treatments, among other reasons, because of possible complications arising from ovarian stimulation in patients who have had contact with the virus whose symptoms caused by the disease could be aggravated, even with the risk of death.
The Spanish Fertility Society (SEF) reports that there is no evidence the virus is present in reproductive biological material (oocytes, sperm, embryos), nor in biological fluids (follicular fluid, semen), or in secretions genitals (vaginal, uterine). No information has been received from the WHO nor the Ministry of Health that contraindicate a pregnancy.
ACTIONS TAKEN TO AVOID CONTAGION
WHO recommendations for Infection Control and Prevention of Coronavirus Disease indicate:
- Maintain frequent hand cleaning with soap and / or antibacterial products.
- Maintain proper respiratory hygiene, covering your mouth when coughing with a handkerchief or using your arm instead of your hand.
- Improve the hygiene of the environment, cleaning the common elements and airing periodically.
- Avoid contact with infected or suspected persons.
- The use of masks is not considered necessary in healthy people.
These measures has been implemented in our staff and in the different public spaces and workplaces, which have been equipped with:
- Tissue boxes
- Alcohol-based antibacterial gel dispensers
- Temperature measurement before access.
- Essential use of mask.
- Application of an access protocol that states a separation of 40 minutes, at least, per consultation, in order to proceed with the cleaning tasks and also to prevent patients to run into.
Among the various precautions established to ensure proper sanitary control, in addition to those indicated by the competent authorities, we have been checking the health condition of our employees and patients before access to the clinic since the pandemic began.
We have adapted our medical protocols to the new situation to guarantee the safety of our patients in these new circumstances. A scientific committee had been created to communicate day by day the evolution of the disease in order to establish the new measures the situation will require.
Our infrastructure allows that the IB staff which do not works directly with patients be able to work from home.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN OUR TREATMENTS PATIENT OR YOU ARE PATIENT
You can ask for a medical consultation (gynecologist, fertility, laboratory or pregnancy follow-up) as usual. However, to protect the security of our patients we will not be able to start any treatment that require ovarian stimulation until the coronavirus health alert situation subsides. In the meantime, our activity through the counseling unit and personal assistants, together with our medical team, laboratory of genetics and clinical analysis are at full capacity to arrange the first Skype consultation or face- to face, to attend to your requests for treatment and its planification, pregnancy follow-ups or to resolve any doubts. We remind you that you can contact us at the usual mail addresses or telephone numbers and at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a patient and were being treated before the health alarm situation – the egg retrieval could be done before Wednesday March, 18th – your eggs or embryos have been frozen and Instituto Bernabeu will assume the cost of the process. Your personal assistant will have contacted you individually to inform you of the latest advances in these previous days. We want to insist that we are at your complete disposal for any question you might have.
IF YOU ARE A PATIENT OF THE PREGNANCY GUARANTEE PROGRAM
In view of the current circumstances as a result of Covid -19 and in view of Royal Decree 463/2020 of 14 March, which declares the state of alarm for the management of the health crisis situation caused by the coronavirus by which all the administrative deadlines are suspended, in an analogous manner, and to guarantee your rights derived from the Pregnancy Guarantee contract, we inform you that we have agreed to temporarily postpone the deadlines for the termination of the guarantee while this extraordinary state of alarm continues.
IF YOU HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH AN INFECTED PERSON WITH COVID-19
If you have been in contact with a person infected with coronavirus and you have no symptoms you should keep the quarantine period. If you feel symptoms such as fever, cough or shortness of breath, we recommend you to go to the hospital in order to assess your health status. Inform the health authorities so they can assess your condition. If the disease it has been confirmed, please inform us.
IF YOU ARE PREGNANT AND HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED CORONAVIRUS COVID-19
As of today, publications and scientific evidence reflect that there is no vertical transmission of Covid-19 from mother to fetus. Likewise, the prognosis of the disease has been described the same both in pregnant patients and in women who were not pregnant.
IB PUBLICATIONS ABOUT CORONAVIRUS THAT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST
- How does coronavirus (COVID-19) affect pregnant women?
- Coronavirus resistence on a variety of surfaces
- Coronavirus COVID-19 and gestational diabetes
- Coronavirus and Endometriosis
- The importance of freezing techniques during the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic
- Psychological support to cope with the current situation: Covid-19
- Recommendations of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE), with regards to Coronavirus COVID-19